Friday, May 24, 2013

Resolution Detour

I am not much of a goal-setter.  I do teach classes in which the objectives for the students are to get them to create short- and long-term goals. At work I am "supposed" to make annual goals that I submit to my boss.  I am also supposed to set future planning goals at the end of each school year for promotional purposes.  There is also big talk about outcome-based learning and the value of goal-setting.

Contrary to all this implementation of goal training, I still can't say I am a fan of goal-setting...
But I have to say that I am more into faith-based learning, in particular - it will happen, IF it happens, on faith. 

This year I stepped out "on faith" and made a New Year's resolution, of sorts, to not purchase anything for myself.  More of a targeted spending self-discipline than anything else.  No clothes, shoes, makeup, jewelry, or accessories.  I did have to eat and take care of my house and my husband, so of course, general purchases were permitted but I restricted the purchases for myself.  When I declared this idea around Christmas, my sister-in-law said to me, "But what if you need something?"  

Well, that was the idea... to not need anything.  I have so many things.  I wanted to:
  • expand my ability to make use of what I did have
  • to do without the extras 
  • reinforce the difference between wants and needs
  • enjoy some delayed gratification
  • and most importantly, not come out of Target with something for myself each time!
And it has worked! I can go into Target without buying something, even a small something, for myself. I also was able to clean out and give away items in my closet because I noticed how many items I was simply not wearing... which was a lot more obvious when I wasn't cluttering it up with new purchases. Keith even did well with MY resolution and bought only two new dress shirts for his spring concerts. 

Alas, even the best laid plans have their detours.  After 140 days (nearly 5 whole months!) of self-restricted purchasing, we detoured to Fleet Feet Sports in order to buy new running shoes.  What an enjoyable experience we had there.  They analyze and truly "fit" you for shoes to make sure you have the perfect ones for your running style.  

Our purchases
They feel so indulgent! 
Oh, and since one detour usually leads to a downward shame spiral...

A $2.99 closeout at Marc's... the very next day!
... it may be time to faithfully dig deeper for a renewed sense of self-discipline.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great, but hard rule to follow. Maybe so you don't feel that shame, you could allow yourself something once a month! Then you will look forward to it and it you can get things you need (you totes needed those shoes) without feeling bad. Don't feel bad.

    Matt & I want to get up to Fleet Feet, actually. Only one of us for "running" though...the other for walking;) Glad to hear you had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! Your resolution reminded me of a no-spend month challenge I read about earlier this week where they limited car trips to save on gas, ate more from the pantry, no online purchases, etc. and of course still paid for bills and essentials - then put what was saved as extra payment on a mortgage. Maybe you could put what you've saved from your new year resolution towards a car fund? :-P

    Enjoy your shoes! There is a difference between what we "need" and what we "want" - I've been learning that myself these last few months in particular as I've clamped down on finances.

    P.S. I love the closeouts at Marc's too! =)

    ReplyDelete