Thursday, September 12, 2013

$4 Garden


Believe it or not I bought the plants for our garden back in May from Marc's and we are still reaping the rewards.  I purchased two pepper plants, a cantaloupe plant, and a regular tomato plant were all just a dollar each!  So my total was $4. Wow! I didn't buy any soil or MiracleGro, so the $4 was really $4. A true savings. I even had two "volunteer" cherry tomato plants show up. All the more for the bounty. 


What we yielded (as of yet... but the harvest continues):
2 Cantaloupes
170 cherry tomatoes
5 green peppers
12 regular tomatoes

And what we've made: 
Salsa (2 batches)
Guacamole (2 batches)
Spicy tomato pasta sauce
Pasta Primavera
Salad fixings
Fruit Salad
Cantaloupe with yogurt
Salsa!! 
Cantaloupe smoothie. Mmmm. 
Jesus tells of the parable of the farmer... of which, I am not.  "And still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop -- a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."   Matthew 13:3-9


Greenthumb Adventure Tip: Mom was right. Cantaloupe takes over the garden, especially a small garden! I suspect cucumbers do the same thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Cantaloupe smoothie- intriguing. That is so cool that you have such a low-maintenance garden. When we find a house we will stay in long enough, maybe you can help me make a $4 garden:) And NOTHING is better than fresh salsa or guacamole! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low maintenance is the only way I know how to garden!

      Delete