Wednesday, February 27, 2013

From the Kitchen: Mexican Crescent Bake

For my next trick, I will make something from the kitchen that actually counts as food! So long, sweets! Inspired by my dear friend, Carrie, to make a meal using crescent rolls, I made a Mexican Crescent Bake from Pillsbury .  My panel of reviewers said the meal was yummy (reviewers: Keith, Ross and Dad), but I am more critical.  It was tasty but it was very messy.  I wished it had a crispier crust and was more substantial in texture throughout the dish.  So here it is... with my comments for improvement. 
Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef (or turkey), cooked and drained
1 can black beans, washed and drained
1 small onion, chopped and sautéed
1 package Taco Seasoning
1 can of crescent rolls
cheddar cheese
salsa
corn (optional)

In a large skillet, heat cooked ground beef, black beans, onions, salsa, and taco seasoning until boiling (Didn't really boil -maybe I shouldn't have drained the beans... but I thought you were always supposed to wash canned beans).
Press crescent roll in to bottom of ungreased 9x13 glass pan.  (I think I also should have baked the crust for just 5 minutes to crisp it up a bit).  Spoon beef mixture over crust and sprinkle with cheese (maybe mix in more cheese before spooning into crust).
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Top with salsa and sour cream.
I may try this as an egg bake or at least add egg to make it more like a casserole.  It would increase the bake time but add more thickness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment