| Yes, I like cheddar with my apple pie! |
I thought, "This is perfect because it is so much more portable than a slice of pie... and given that the two of us probably won't eat a whole pie in one weekend these pieces can be packed in lunches much more easily. Plus I have all the ingredients (except cornflakes) so I won't have to put on socks, shoes, and a sweatshirt to go to the store... I can start now. Hooray!"
Ready for the PASTRY
1 egg, separated, reserve the egg white
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
Heat oven to 350°F. Beat egg yolk in small bowl. Add 1/2 cup milk; mix well. Set aside.
Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg yolk mixture with fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half.
| ... but 30 minutes of mixing butter and flour then adding the egg yolk mixture, I finally had a dough ball. |
| "Cut in butter" sounds so simple... |
Roll out half the dough on a floured surface into a 15x10-inch rectangle or blob; place onto ungreased 15x10x1 jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes or better yet, walnuts and oatmeal; top with sliced apples.
| Did I mention I don't have a rolling pin? I used a drinking glass. |
Ready for the FILLING
1 cup crushed corn flakes walnuts and oatmeal
8 to 10 medium (8 cups) tart cooking apples, peeled, sliced
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 reserved egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl. Sprinkle over apples. Roll remaining half of dough into 15 1/2x10 1/2-inch rectangle; place over apples.
Beat reserved egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust. Combine remaining cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl; sprinkle over crust. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
Beat reserved egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust. Combine remaining cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl; sprinkle over crust. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk for desired glazing consistency. Drizzle over warm bars.
| Yum!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment