In Eva's first year, we used 1650 diapers. That meant a little over 4 diapers per day. That's a lot of diapers for a tiny little bum.
Our sweet little girl got some diaper rash earlier this summer. She didn't seem super uncomfortable but I became very concerned about finding the right diaper to stave off this rash. My brain was obsessed with diapers for a whole month.
Probably no one that reads this blog will benefit too much from what I am going to share about my findings with diapers but I will give you my review of the diaper brands that I tried...
Target (~$0.11 /each) - I had been using Target brand, as a happily satisfied consumer, when this all happened. So perhaps the combination of summer humidity and cheap diapers was the culprit. I am not 100% sure. They are great diapers and we'll continue to use them through the cooler months.
Huggies Little Snugglers (~$0.28 /each) Being warned against Snug N Dry, I had used and will continue to use Huggies Little Snugglers on Eva in various sizes. They keep her bum dry and soft... if that is possible from a diaper. However, finding size 3 at a store is always the challenge.
Seventh Generation (~$0.42 /each) Then we tried Seventh Generation which made me feel good about the earth (which is hard to do when you use disposable) but didn't seem to completely absolve the rashy issues.
Honest Company (~$0.38 /each) A friend at a baby shower told me these are the best, best, best diapers. It is most certainly true that they are very good. And within the past two years Target as started carrying them so they are easy to run out and pick some up. Similar to Seventh Generation, they are made with sustainable materials but are way cuter. These seemed the best disposable brand at resolving diaper rash issues and didn't cause any further irritation on the sensitive bum.
CVS or Walmart (~$0.17 /each) Both these store brands are affordable and seem to a good job with a non-irritated bum. They are slightly softer than Target brand, so I would be more inclined to use them on a sore bum.
Cloth Diapers (~$18.00 /each) I have a few Charlie Banana brand cloth diapers as well as BumGenius brand cloth diapers. Both are very similar in set-up. They are the all-in-one type that has an insert but you wash the whole thing each time you change. Now, for a rashy, irritated bum... this is the way to go. Soft. Resists and heals further diaper rash. Since I have just a few, I use these on our little girl at night to help out with the moisture issues for the longest period of time.
Bottom Line... No diaper is perfect. Summer months and humidity make them worse. But frequent changes (maybe with a cloth diaper or two in the rotation) are key and should help out.
I also used a coconut oil salve (similar to Burt's Bees Multipurpose ointment $9) that I got at our pediatrician's office that sped up the healing considerably.




I'm new to the "comment on a blog" thing so hopefully I do this right. I would just like to commend you on your diapering practices though because you have saved yourself a ton of money simply through your usage number. Ben and I are both marveling at the "4 a day average". Wow! I'm sure we are at least double that but of course diaper rash seems to attack our boys often so the "change diaper frequently" thing has been effective.
ReplyDeleteObviously, some days are heavier usage than others. I agree the frequency of changes during rashy times is the most effective for healing. Congrats on commenting!!!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete